What I love about Hot Damn and Hell Yeah: Recipes for Hungry Banditos (besides the fact it’s actually two cookbooks in one) is that it’s a book full of vegan comfort food with recipes that use simple, affordable ingredients. The recipe that follows is based on one from this book, “Mighty Chewy Brownies” with a couple very small modifications. These brownies are chewy in the middle and just a little bit crispy and flaky on top, and so incredibly chocolatey and sweet.
10 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 3/4 Cup Margarine
- 1 2/3 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 2 Tbsp Ground Flaxseed
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 1/3 Cups Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare an 8x8" pan by greasing an X into the bottom with margarine, lightly greasing around the edges, and then lining the pan (or at least the bottom of it) with parchment paper.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt the margarine, stirring occasionally. [Update: You can also melt the margarine in the microwave - takes about a minute - we just didn't have one.]
- Meanwhile, whisk together the ground flaxseed and water in a small bowl with a fork.
- When the margarine is melted, beat in the sugar for a minute or two. Then beat in the flaxeeed and water mixture and the vanilla until combined.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Stir dry mixture into wet in 2-3 batches to avoid clumps.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan, using a spatula or bowl scraper to smooth out the top, and bake for 35-45 minutes. They are done when a toothpick stuck in the middle comes out clean. Be careful not to overbake.
Add a thin frosting by beating together:
1 cup icing sugar
3 tbsp cocoa powder
3 tbsp margarine
3 tbsp soy milk
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
Make sure the brownies are almost completely cool before spreading the frosting on top.